Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Asia 48 - 75 Nam Am Nhac VN & Nhac Si Pham Duy
nocloo
#1 Posted : Wednesday, November 9, 2005 4:00:00 PM(UTC)
nocloo

Groups:

Asia has done considerable changes to make Asia 48 a much better show than the previous ones, it reflects in the sales. Kuddos to the team at Asia.

However, I don't understand why they did not give any credit to NS Pham Duy, one of the greatest and most influential artist of all time his dues.

To share some light on the issue. NS Pham Duy has enraged some of the political extremists in the Vmese community by moving back to VN and spent the last of his days there. He has his own personal reasons and has explained it plainly, it was not politically motivated. Many have blindfoldedly called him a traitor, etc. As some of you may have followed, he has his share of fight with Little Saigon Radio and other political extremists. They called him names, yet they kept using his music without paying the dues, effectively stealing his music. His family has threatened to sue, or did sue ? For it to stop.

NS Pham Duy is first and foremost an artist, like Trinh Cong Son and many others. One cannot deny his lifetime contribution to the Vmese music heritage and his influence on later generation musicians.

Anyone at Asia care to shed some light on the blatant omission of this great artist ? Did Asia take a political stand ? Or is it because they cannot secure the rights to his songs ? In any case, Asia should have at least the grace to mention and reconized his contribution in their DVD.

It's truely sad to hear that his last words to the Bolsa community before he left was "Bây giờ tôi mới nhận ra họ vô ơn..." I, as one of the younger generation music lover would like to pay tribute to NS Pham Duy and permit me to quote "Candle in the Wind": "Your candle's burned out long before your legend ever will". Last laugh, you will !

Finally, I hope that Asia will maintain their integrity in the future. After all, we are living in the country of the free. Lets not turn a venue of entertainment into a venue for political activists or extremists, there are many other places for that. Lets the music play !!!

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Mohandas Gandhi

BubbleTea
#2 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 10:57:54 AM(UTC)
BubbleTea

Groups: Registered, Moderator, Administrators

Was thanked: 49 time(s) in 27 post(s)
Trong 1 chuong trinh ... chac cung co' dieu gi do' so* so't! :)
trile
#3 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:27:42 PM(UTC)
trile

Groups:

Dda^y kho^ng pha?i la` mo^.t ddie^`u so* so't ma` la` mo^.t ddie^`u thie^'u so't lo*'n.
Chu'ng ta pha?i co^ng nha^.n Asia dda~ tha`nh co^ng trong chu*o*ng tri`nh na`y nhu*ng kho^ng mo*`i PD la` mo^.t ddie^`u sai la^`m lo*'n vi` PD la` mo^.t thie^n ta`i cu?a VN. To^i co' nghe ha~ng che^' ta.o ddie^.n tu*? SO*N CA o*? VN dda~ xin nhu*o*.ng la.i ba?n quye^`n 10 CHU*~ trong ba`i Ti`nh Ca cu?a PD vo*'i so^' tie^`n 100 trie^.u ddo^`ng VN .
Dda'ng tie^'c thay Asia dda~ kho^ng la`m ddu*o*.c ddie^`u ddo'.

Cu~ng co' the^? PD dda~ tu*` cho^'i tham du*.?
vivjelly
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 1:48:22 PM(UTC)
vivjelly

Groups: Registered

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
The post below is only my opinion, so I hope I don't offend anyone.

I agree that Pham Duy is a talented songwriter. He has written many unforgettable songs during pre- and post- Vietnam War. However, his recent behavior is dispectable and unhonorable toward the Vietnamese community. Instead of keeping his mouth shut, he had to ridicule the Vietnamese-Americans to make himself look better to the Communist in Vietnam...and that is no manly act. There is a Vietnamese term that describes him perfectly, which is "vo liem si." In my eyes, whatever achievements he accomplished has been dampened by his unpatriotic outlook. I believe that the Vietnamese community is fine without a Pham Duy. There are other Vietnamese songwriters talented as well, and they actually use their music to honor their country's history in a dignify way...such as, Van Phung, Anh Bang, Tran Thien Thanh, Tram Tu Thieng, Lam Phuong, Hoang Trong, Lam Phuong, and etc.

Asia has been opened about their anti-communist point-of-view. Therefore, I assume that Asia not presenting Pham Duy's music was done on purpose and rightfully so.
trai_ot_hiem
#5 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 2:01:30 PM(UTC)
trai_ot_hiem

Woman

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 2 post(s)
ASIA khong pha?i la khong nhac toi Pham Duy .. they did ... nhung mention ten him along with other song writers!!!! chi? la khong ha't nha.c Pham Duy ma thoi!!! dday khong pha?i la thieu so't lo*'n ...

"i luv u .. but i luv u more if u're an ASIA fan ... hehe :) "
"Ti`nh yeu ngo tan mau nhu kho'i lam,
bong dau tinh di den ben ta thi` tham."
De Tu
#6 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:00:26 PM(UTC)
De Tu

Groups:

Tôi đồng ý với tráiớthiễm nếu tôi nhớ không lầm thì ASIA có nêu tên của NS PD nhưng trong chương trình thì không có những bài hát của ông ta mà thôi.

Nhưng lại một lần nữa, tại sao phải chỉ trách quá sớm vậy? ASIA đã chuyên môn làm những tựa đề trở lại bằng "kỳ 2" hoặc "kỳ 3" v.v. Thì trong một chương trình mà làm sao ca hết những bài hát của tất cả nhạc sĩ trong 75 năm qua? Nên cho ASIA một cơ hội và đón xem năm sao sẽ có - 75 Năm Âm Nhạc VN, Kỳ II [:D]

Có lẽ sẽ có những bài hát của những nhạc sĩ khác chăng? [:D]

A Fan of ASIA
thanngo
#7 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 3:59:01 PM(UTC)
thanngo

Groups:

thu that toi cung rat yeu thich nhac PD,nhung sau nhung gi ong ta noi nang co ve XUONG GIONG,NANG NI voi dang va bac de duoc hat nhac cua minh thay sao mat tu cach.Vi ong ta bay gio chang can pho truong thanh the,hay quang ba nhac cua minh nua-le di nhien neu ai la nguoi Viet,yeu nhac, it nhieu deu biet den ten tuoi cua ong; neu khong noi hinh anh cua ong da bao trum ca mot chieu dai lich su am nhac duong dai.Khong li do gi phai di xin xo,vi gia tri thuc bao gio cung duoc ton tai vinh vien,duoc ton vinh.Dang nay lai co nhung hanh dong danh mat di ten tuoi cua minh da bao nam cat cong tao dung.Mac du trong long nguoi ham mo van con mai yeu nhac ong,nhung it nhieu ten tuoi cung bi hoen o,mat su nguong mo cua cua mot tuong dai am nhac VN,do su nong noi,ham loi truoc mat......
lana
#8 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 6:10:34 PM(UTC)
lana

Groups:

Ca'm o*n asia dda khong moi PD trong chuong trinh 75 nam am nhac.
Con nguoi ai cung phai can co liem si va nhan cach. Khong biet vi ddong tien hay vi danh loi ma PD dda ddanh mat luong tri khi ve VN tuyen bo/ lam loa tuyen truyen cho Cong San, dda qua lung la.i voi tu cach ty nan. quay lung la.i voi luong tam.

Vietnam con co rat nhieu nhac sy hay khac. thanks asia for a wonderful dvd....75 nam am nhac vietnam.

vivjelly.. "argree with you 100%).

trile
#9 Posted : Thursday, November 10, 2005 9:03:00 PM(UTC)
trile

Groups:

Day la bai phong van PD. Do la ly do tai sao nhac PD khong duoc hat trong chuong trinh Asia 48.

* Theo ông, nhà nước VN cũng như cộng đồng người Việt tại hải ngoại nên làm thế nào để chính sách đại đoàn kết dân tộc được hữu hiệu hơn, để tình người gần với nhau hơn?
- Không, chính phủ VN vừa làm một chuyện hết sức ngoạn mục là Nghị quyết 36. Đó là một cách đưa tay ra với những người thua trận. Thế là đủ rồi.
* Nhưng điều này cũng cần cả hai phía, ông có nghĩ thế không?
- Phía bên kia không có gì để đưa tay ra cả. Ít ra phải có một lực lượng. Bao lâu nay mình cứ tưởng bên kia có một lực lượng nhưng chẳng có gì cả, chỉ là một vài người lợi dụng danh từ “chống Cộng” để làm tiền.
Đa số những người thầm lặng bên kia họ rất muốn về, nhưng bằng cách nào? Bằng cách ở đây mình phải cởi mở hơn nữa, thoáng hơn nữa. Nhưng tôi thấy, thế là thoáng rồi đấy! Vậy nên bây giờ chúng ta mới ngồi nói chuyện được với nhau thế này.
* Xin cám ơn ông vì buổi phỏng vấn này!
Theo VietNamNet
gmt_bt
#10 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2005 12:05:44 AM(UTC)
gmt_bt

Groups:

is that interview for real??? he really said that? is he following Nguyen Cao Ky` or what? geeze I can't believe it
THanks Trile for posting it up

vivjelly
#11 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2005 12:19:22 AM(UTC)
vivjelly

Thanks Lana, I'm glad someone else has a similar philosophy as I do in this matter.
nocloo
#12 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2005 10:28:38 AM(UTC)
nocloo

Groups:

My intention was not to turn this into a policital debate. It will never ends ... I want to look at NS PD as an artist, an iconic figure, one who has contributed his life to music and give him his dues. I don't want to take sides, there're many other places for that.

Now onto the politcal views. Looking at this a bit further, PD has pissed quite a few people with those comments. However, permit me to take a rational view by looking back at how it all started. I don't have all the info and hope that some of you can contribute to make it a friendly debate and not turn this into a full political fight or personal attacks.

1- NS PD annouced his intention to go back to VN and live the rest of his days there, like many of the older people I know, some of you may understand the reasons behind it, some won't. Suddenly, there was an uproar and a mass of vicious attacks against him. Many have called him a traitor in their own rights. This was way before those previous comments was made. This obviously pissed PD and he has responded in his own way. He is first and foremost an artist not a politician. People asked him to take side, he didn't. That also happened to TCS and a few others.

2- Here is the full link to the interview in question, so we can all see the full picture: http://www.vnn.vn/psks/2005/06/444249/ After reading the whole interview. There are things that he should have said, and things that shouldn't have said. We're not here to tell him on what he can say and cannot say, he's free to say what he wanted. That's what freedom of speech is all about. No one can stop that. Some may interprete his comments as a traitor, a VC, he was already called that well before he left. Others may see it as a revenge against the vicious attacks he received when he announced his decision to go back or simply butt kissing. We're not in his shoes.

3- Looking at the factual data of his last comments:

a) We lost the war. No doubt about that.
b) We do not have an army to fight, true enough. We can all talk all we like but how many of us are willing to give up the good life here to take up arms and fight? About the abuse of the name "chống Cộng", there're too many example that we're willing to forget. A prime example is Hoang Co Minh & Co.

Now, lets have a closer look at the evolution of the fight against the VC regime since 75. How things have changed, whenther we like it or not.

1- In the beginning, we fought against sending money back to support our family members back in VN. Calling those who sent money back traitors. That we are indirectly supporting the Communism regime. Guess what ? Family first. Who were right ? And what of now ?

2- Then we fought against buying exported products from VN. Asking ppl to boycott the markets who sells those products. Because, again we're supporting the Communism regime. What of now ? What happened to those who are strongly against it ? Do they still have the same conviction nowadays of not buy anything from VN ? Or sitting confortably in their living room, eating great foods ?

3- After that, we fought against VK going back to VN to visit, to live there or to do business. Many of those vocal critics has "silently" gone back for a visit, invested in the real estate market, opened new businesses, etc. Money talks, some said.

4- Again, we picked at fight against musics from VN and those first Vmese singers who came here to sing. Protesting, boycotting, calling names. What of now ? Vmese songs and singers are everywhere. CDs are seling at $1, $2 a piece. Who is profitting from that ? I'm pretty sure that none, or very little of that money have found the way to the singers, song writters back in VN.

I'm sure there are many other examples. So we're not without faults and share a large number hypocrites. We are quick to join others and start to acuse ppl, we should look at our own backyard first. NS PD has his own views that many of us can never agreed with. He is not a politician like Nguyen Cao Ky, that was a real shame. NS PD did what was right for him, his family. Not what is right for the community or for our righteous mind. Having money to live, to enjoy the last of his days in VN. When in Rome, do as the Romans do.

Likewise, the community has denounced Trinh Cong Son, because he wrote some songs they considered to be anti-CongHoa. Prefer to stay in VN when he had many chances to leave the country. Many extremists called him at best un-patriotic, at worse a "traitor". He is always an artist at heart, wrote what was his fellings at the time. He was anti-war, like the John Lennon, the Jane "VC" Fonda and the rest. Rest in peace ! TCS !

As we're soon to forget all the hypocrites in our backyard, NS PD will soon passed away. In a hundred years from now, what remains of PD, TCS and others will be their music, their great legacy to the Vmese heritage. One cannot deny that. Last laugh, they will !

I respect your views of NS PD and you may called him what you like. Perhaps, some of you will start to call me a VC or Thuy Nga's spy as I've been called before, that's alright too. Reading all the comments to date, I guess I'm almost the only one to see PD as an artist. The rest of you see him as a politician who have taken the evil side, an Anakin turned Darth Vader. To me, his views are personal, whenther I like it or not. He does not speak for me nor anyone else. Like Mozart, Picasso, Van Gogh, Rembrandt ... many great men have done "stupid" things in their life. But their art speaks for itself long after all their detractors are gone and I think we should talk about music here. Leave the politics to politicians.

Regards,
-nocloo

"First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
Mohandas Gandhi

vivjelly
#13 Posted : Friday, November 11, 2005 10:47:15 AM(UTC)
vivjelly

nocloo, I fully respect your post. It's very well-thought. Anyway, I guess personally, in order to for me to enjoy music, I have to connect to the songwriter's soul. And Pham Duy is just not my cup of tea. No doubt he is probably one of our best songwriters in the Vietnam history, but his attitude doesn't cut it for me. When I saw the PBN episode that first featured music from his collection, I was unpleased with his cockiness. He turned me off right then. On the other hand, when PBN did a show on Van Phung's music, I immediately connected to his music and aura. I guess it just a personal taste.
nocloo
#14 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 5:54:20 AM(UTC)
nocloo

Groups:

Vivjelly, I found your statements peculiar, the connection to the songwritter's soul in order to enjoy the music. When I heard a song by Madona, Celine Dion, Elvis Presley, etc. I have to admit that I don't know the names of any of the people behind those songs, the musician and lyricist may not be the same person. I was touched by the music itself, the words, the singer's voice or the work as a whole. My singular idea is one doesn't have to know the artist or the people behind a song in order to enjoy his works, of course it's better to know. Perhaps I'm alone or you have an unique personal taste. In many cases and on many occasions, I heard a song on the radio, in a club, and the music kept playing in my head for days. Great music speaks for itself, loud and clear, it doesn't lie. I respect your opinion and it's noted.

NS Pham Duy, like many other "famous" personalities; may have suffered from the big ego syndrome. Look around us, our Vmese community is so full of them. He is not alone and far from being the worse. As for me, he does have some quirks, but unlike many, he may well deserve the rights to brag, his works speak for themself. He gave his whole life to music and what did he get in return ? Nothing ! Besides the rights to brag. If those so called good people, singers, music producers, club owners ... gave him his dues. Perhaps $0.10c per song used or $0.25-$1 per CD/DVD/Karaoke/Songs book, he would be a millionaire by now or at least live confortably. Perhaps he does not have to "beg/kiss" the communist regime for permission to play his songs. Or have to sell the rights to his song in VN in order to get the money to live the way he wanted.

Living in the richest country of the world, being perhaps the greatest Vmese songwritter ever. At the end of 60 years dedicated to music, instead of being so rich like those music/show producers, singers, music shop owners and many others who at some point of their life have lived off his music. He lived off welfare, insn't that sad ? What are we so proud of ? Is the Vmese community so full of themself that they can discredit one's man entire life of works and contributions because he has a diverse opinion at the end of his life? Or refuse to take sides ? How can we, the freedom fighters living in this great country can be so intolerant and disrespectful ? We're not that far from the commies themself. That is how the so called great Vmese community outside of VN treat their greatest songwritter ? Very sad indeed ...

If all the people here have paid their dued portion (1%-3%?) of what they gained from the music of Trinh Cong Son, he didn't have to live and die poor. Where is the money ? What happened to all those thieves ? Living well in their big house, driving their nice Mercedes and laughing all their way to the bank. Some of those thieves even dare to condemn TCS, ungrateful bas*ards. Luckily, we still have some good people out there who gave a bit of money to the rightful owners.

Perhaps PD did see the light at the end of a long journey. Perhaps he wants the riches at 80s as some have suggested. Perhaps he doesn't want to die dirt poor like TCS or having leeches living off his hard work. Perhaps, he got tired of those hypocrites people and decide to live with the communist, at least he knows what is facing him. Perhaps, as he simply said, return to the place where he was born and die there. What did he get? Instead of a simple "thank you" and "good luck" from the community for his lifetime contributions, they called him a "traitor". The same people who praised him for his music turned on their back, called him a no-talent and other words suitable only for the criminals. A nice stab in the back is what he got.

We can all talk, whatever his decision was right or wrong at the end of his life is his own affairs. His legacy will live on, long past that. After reading many things that have been said about him in the newspapers here, since the day he announced his return. I don't blame him for taking his "shoot" back. Not at all mon ami !! (google is your friend)

To all the thieves who took profit of his works for the past 30 years and stabbed him on the back. NEVER BITE THE HANDS THAT FEEDS YOU !! DOGS DON'T !!

-nocloo

Mohandas Gandhi
huyentran
#15 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 6:12:30 AM(UTC)
huyentran

Groups:

Hi Nocloo:
I read many of your posts. I do respect you a lot. Not only your knowledge but also your sense of humor. I felt bad for you that you spent a lot time to express your great thought in this forum here. People here, like some of them else in oversea community, they do not appreciate what you are thinking. They do not have the level that you have to understand what you are saying.
I hope you will find a better forum where people have a higher level of thinking and more liberty.
Best of luck
vivjelly
#16 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 7:58:21 AM(UTC)
vivjelly

nocloo, indeed you do have a direct point regarding Pham Duy's legacy. I think the difference between you and I is that you speak with logic and I speak with emotion. Therefore, we have a different outlook on things. Furthermore, I'm going to pause my opinion on this topic since we seem to have contrasting perspectives; you are liberal and I'm more conservative. So the further I continue with this it going to lead to more discomfort in the thread. However, I respect your thoughts on these controversial topics. You bring a different facet to the argument. Nevertheless, it doesn't entirely change my opinion on Pham Duy. And of course, opinion is just only opinion. Finally, thank you for sharing your perspectives with us all...I personally appreciate it.

I just want to have a happy ending instead of an angry one. [:)]
De Tu
#17 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 12:25:34 PM(UTC)
De Tu

Groups:

quote:
Originally posted by huyentran

Hi Nocloo:
I read many of your posts. I do respect you a lot. Not only your knowledge but also your sense of humor. I felt bad for you that you spent a lot time to express your great thought in this forum here. People here, like some of them else in oversea community, they do not appreciate what you are thinking. They do not have the level that you have to understand what you are saying.
I hope you will find a better forum where people have a higher level of thinking and more liberty.
Best of luck

PLEASE DO NOT MAKE JUDGEMENT FOR OTHERS AS YOU CANNOT SPEAK FOR ANYONE ELSE EXCEPT YOURSELF. RESPECT THE COMMON SENSE OF CHATTING FORUMS AS YOUR OPINION IS ONLY PERSONALLY YOURS, NOT OTHERS. THANK YOU. [:(!][xx(]

A Fan of ASIA
longevtaste
#18 Posted : Saturday, November 12, 2005 2:11:02 PM(UTC)
longevtaste

Nocloo,
Pham Duy nowadays is a controversial character, and I am glad that the Asia Ent. just mentioned his name but did not use his music. Yes, Pham Duy contributed significantly to the Viet music , and everyone should not deny this. However, his recent attitude and announcements have really disappointed me. Let me tell you the truth that when I was still very very young, I have cried when listening to his "Ba Me Gio Linh". I have been a big fan of Pham Duy since then. However, with such attitude and announcements, I just feel sad. I do not get angry at him but just understand that he is now too old to think clearly. Anyway, he has left VN for a long time. His existence on this world will not be very long, so please let him having peaceful days for the rest of his life. For me, I do not agree with his current point of view. That’s all.
Regards,
Longevtaste